We have a classic prescription giant cupcake. This cake is a Lemon giant cupcake.
To make it takes 40 minutes for preparation and 1 hour to cooking.
Lemon Giant Cupcake Ingredients
Ingredients for the giant cupcake
- Zest and juice of two large lemons
- 1 ½ tsps of baking powder
- 6 large eggs
- 6 tbsps of milk
- 40g of cornflour
- 330g self raising flour, sifted
- 330g golden caster sugar
- 330g of unsalted butter softened
Ingredients for the buttercream
- 2 tsps of lemon zest
- 3 tbsp lemon curd (to sandwich cakes together)
- 3-4 tbsps of fresh lemon juice
- 120g of unsalted butter
- 500g of icing sugar
Ingredients for the shell and decorations
- 20g of chocolate fondant
- 70g of white flower paste – I coloured 50g yellow using sugarflairs egg yellow and coloured 20g holly green by sugarflair
- 397g yellow candy melts or 400g good quality chocolate
Lemon Giant Cupcake Photos Gallery
Lemon Giant Cupcake Directions
- Firstly, 1/4 fill a pan with water and place a heatproof bowl over the top. Don’t let the bowl touch the water otherwise the melts will burn. Empty the candy melts into the glass bowl and heat gently until the candy has melted and it’s smooth and shiny. Remove from the heat and using a silicone brush, put the melted chocolate around the inside of the bottom and sides of the giant cupcake mould making it as even as possible so as to create a shell for the bottom of the cake. Place in the fridge to harden for 30 minutes or until set, then remove from the tin and grease the tin for the cake.
- Then, preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until light in colour and fluffy.
- Next, sift the flours and the baking powder together and add 1/3 to the butter and sugar with 2 eggs. Beat until just combined then repeat until all the flour and eggs have been added. Add the milk and the zest and juice of the lemons and beat again.
- Fill the tin/mould to 2/3 full and place in the oven to bake for between 50 mins and 1 hour depending on your own oven. The cake will be done when it is springy to the touch. Do not remove the cake from the oven until it’s done.
- Meanwhile make your sunflowers by colouring your flower paste green and yellow and popping a tiny amount of brown in the centre of the mould and then adding the yellow for the petals. Pop them out and leave to dry on a piece of greaseproof paper or drying sponge. I used a calyx cutter and the green flower paste for the back leaves of the sunflower. Then cut 12 leaves from the green flower paste, leave them to dry on the drying sponge.
- Make the buttercream by adding all the ingredients together and beating for about 5 mins, cover with a damp cloth until you are ready to use it.
- When the cake is cool trim the base of the cake slightly so it fits into the candy shell. I just trim off all the grooves on the base. Slice the base into three and sandwich with lemon curd and buttercream. Pop the base of the cake into the candy shell and top with buttercream.
- Place the top of the cake on top of the base and lightly cover in buttercream. I find that if you have a turn table it’s quicker as you can easily turn and ice at the same time
- Now pipe the remainder of the icing onto the top of the cake by adding a Wilton 1B to a large piping bag. Fill the bag with buttercream and twist the bag right at the top of the buttercream, hold the twist between your thumb and forefinger and apply pressure to pipe roses to the top of the cake. See how to pipe roses with buttercream
- When you have finished piping add the sunflowers you made earlier and decorate with a ribbon and cake buckle.
Lemon Giant Cupcake Video
Cooking time (duration):1 Hr 40 Mins
Now, it’s time you tried Lemon giant cupcake recipe.